Wednesday, June 30, 2010

on favorite colors

Lael's response to James Mulder's post An Orange and an Allegory Walk into a Bar:

This is really nerdy, but I don’t have a favorite color, so much as I have “color combinations that are aesthetically pleasing.” When I see a dark red, deep gold yellow, and forest green schema, I feel happy. Or a bold magenta, teal and eggplant. I appreciate a complementary sampling of the rainbow in three or four colors.  Don't give me the Fisher-Price-children's-toys combo of standard red, yellow, green and blue.  This is not primary school, these are the visual buttresses of creativity and style.  This is important, people.

I’ve always liked, not one particular color, but COLORS!! eee!!! (as a 10 year-old girl would scream when she found the 64-crayon Crayola behemoth box). Instead of stealing one marker and hoarding it from my classmates to practice writing my name, I used to take three or four, then carefully write out my full name in alternating colors.  I’m greedy with them,  my colors. I don’t want one special color for my very own—no, I want ALL of them, and I want all their shades and hues, and I want them now and I want them in rainbow order.

No comments:

Post a Comment

gimme some love!